"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Krappa

Monday 28 March 2011

Timber Timbre - Creep On Creepin' On

I first found Timber Timbre when watching Breaking Bad, in which his (or should that be "their"?) brilliant song 'Magic Arrow' was matched brilliantly with a truly brilliant scene. The music is kinda folky, kinda souly, kinda bluesy, kinda scary.

I really enjoyed his last album, Timber Timbre, or at least I really loved a few of the tracks and the rest, although samey, had a nice enough groove and an interesting enough atmosphere. Much of it sounds like The Dead Weather on heroin with an American Jack Steadman singing, which is a good thing in my book. Also, the bits and bobs I've heard from previous releases are pretty rad too.

Anyway, his (their? Wikipedia doesn't know either) new album, Creep On Creepin' On, is out on April 5th. However, luckily enough it's on the AOL Music website (HERE! HERE! HERE!) for all to listen to.

I think COCO is a definite step forward from Timber Timbre, the songs are still a bit samey, but there's some interesting, atonal instrumentals to add drama when you start to notice. The whole 60s soul aspect has been really pushed forward to great effect, with muted bass, swinging drums and piano taking a much more prominent place on this album than the last; there's even some girl group style backing vocals on 'Too Old to Die Young'.

I think Timber Timbre is (are?) fantastic. I'm not a giant fan of every song, but the music always sounds interesting and sonically unlike anything else I've heard. I think I'm gonna check out his/their gig on the 27th of April at ICA.

Anyway, enough blabber. Here's some sweet, soulful tunes:



And here are some old favourites:

No comments:

Post a Comment