"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Krappa

Monday 2 March 2015

Satanic Ritual Abuse Presents: Navelgazer

I am currently figuring out how to do my second live performance, after being inspired by reading the whole of Stewart Lee's How I Escaped My Certain Fate (you have to love his ability to subtly show off his knowledge of alternative musics)  and watching ALL OF HIS WORK in two days. I guess in a similar way to Stewart Lee, I'm reflecting on my artistic choices in the past before hopefully developing them further in the future. I'm not saying that I'm the Stewart Lee of pop music... that's for other people to say.

Anyway, at the inaugural Fat Dog Party, at The Green Door Store in Brighton, I handed out 50 copies of the below piece of paper to about 70-80 audience members (some of them shared):


Following this, I instructed them all to sit down. Then I did what I said I would do. I was helped along by a large bank of guitar effects pedals, most of which I never used before. While playing I was washed with alternate waves of self-loathing and pure ecstasy - so much so, that it almost felt like a normal day.

It went quite well and people like it more than I thought they would. At least one person claimed to have their life changed. I was kind of hoping to piss everyone off.

As I am a complete genius, I am now aiming to top this performance in concept, content and form.

No comments:

Post a Comment