"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Krappa

Tuesday 5 October 2010

Beach Girls (lolololol!!!!11!!1!1)

This whole female led surf-poppy, lo-fiing, reverb soaked craze that's being going on for a while (although I've been extremely late to come to it) is really quite brilliant, even if it does mean that there are loads of identical sounding bands out there.

I mean, can anyone really say that Vivian Girls, Best Coast and Dum Dum Girls are all artists who've tried to push sonic boundaries and really add something special to pop music? Well maybe one of these bands (or a contemporary) did at some point, but the fact remains that differences between these bands' sounds, and between their songs themselves, is very, very thin.

However, this doesn't change the fact that they're as exciting and catchy as fuck, and make me wish I was an American hipster woman who could sing, and start a band of my own. All I would need is a drum machine to go boom-cha-cha-boom-cha and I'd be set.

Here are some videos of my favourites from each previously mentioned band (which also happen to be probably amongst their least generic songs):




No comments:

Post a Comment