"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Krappa

Saturday 9 October 2010

Throwing Muses

I saw Kristin Hirsh's solo set at Latitude this summer without realising that she was the singer of Throwing Muses, who I'd kinda heard of and knew were supposedly good. She was really, really great and sounded a bit like a sad, vicious grandmother with a guitar. I looked up who she was afterwards and then finally checked out Throwing Muses, which as it turned out was a very good idea.

I haven't heard 100% of their output, but what I've heard I've really liked.

They sometimes have incredibly beautiful harmonies, like in this song:

 Throwing Muses - Flood .mp3
Found at bee mp3 search engine

And they sometimes have really hyperactive songs with lots of different bits like this wonder, 'Mexican Women', which after the first listen I had to repeat a couple of times just to figure out what was going on.

Is it just me or does it sound a bit like Elbow ripped 'Mirrorball' off this song, 'A Feeling', at least a lil' bit?

The only real weaknesses they have is the sameyness of their harder songs and occasionally the drummer(s?). If you listen to this song, 'Freeloader', it seems like if there was Nirvana's rhythm section behind Kristin, the song would explode after the drop. Sadly, it just ends up sounding like Queen-esque, camp rock/pop.

On the plus side, Kristin's shouts make her a contender for the 'Female Black Francis' throne, and the songs are generally great. Obviously they don't touch the divinity of Pixies though, I used their name in vain to just say her voice is grand.

Anyway, look at this video, it's great (especially the bass:

No comments:

Post a Comment