"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Krappa

Friday 22 April 2011

The Whitest Boy Alive - 'Dreams'

I first heard The Whitest Boy Alive on a Kitsuné compilation. I was instantly stunned by the track ('Done With You') and played it over and over again until I got hold of the album, which exceeded my expectations immensely. This was all more than three years ago, but Dreams remains one of my favourite albums ever.

The first thing that struck me was the purity of the sound. I'm someone who loves noisy, scuzzy, lo-fi mess songs, but the cleanness of each track on Dreams is breathtaking. You can hear every high-hat hit, every bass note and each reverberated guitar stab or slide. This in combination with the beautiful way in which the instruments interact, rhythmically and harmoniously, creates a deceivingly simple but awe-inspiring noise that can't fail to make you want to dance in your bedroom. Alone.
In many ways it's comparable to Galaxie 500, Low and even The xx, but it's just so, so much better.

I think this album has been horrifically over-looked and under-rated. I admit that 'Above You' is a fucking awful track that I skip every time, but Dreams strips indie-pop down to a fragile and honest skeleton. It's a record that has not only had a profound impact on me emotionally but also on the way in which I listen to music, and I'm sure I'll continue to love it for the rest of my life.

Don't just take my wanky word for it:


Also, their live videos are pretty fucking amazing too. Check it.

No comments:

Post a Comment